Breaking to a Knee:
When your opponent gets their arms around your neck and head canceling out the effectiveness of your clinch.
- To Counter this break one of your hand or collar ties and snake it to the outside of the opposing arm.
- Then replace in what ever grip securing the clinch again shrugging off that outside arm of your opponent to your opposite shoulder.
- Opening up the body to knees with that inside or rear leg knee.
- Shot an arm through their arms the opposite side of the head.
- Applying pressure with the elbow and biceps regain a proper clinch really explode with that downward force to shoot there head down
- Getting the head down to launch a straight knees to the head and body.
- Really pulling down after shooting explosively with the down force is important to break your opponent’s stance or base.
A nice Thai style move to the stomp kick (not a foot stomp more like a sidekick and front kick mixed together).
- While engaged in the clinch set it up like a stepping knee while stopping back pull down on the head pulling them off base.
- Stopping your backward motion.
- Lifting that rear leg and landing a more of stomping style side kick on the hip or above the knee.
- Then throwing that same knee to the body or head.
Knees in a Clinch Counter:
Keys to knees in the clinch stay parallel when your opponents shoots for the neck.
- When pulling down and stepping back to land a stomp or knee.
- Break the base, whatever you do stay as straight or unbroken as possible
- Here you don’t want any bend because you’ll lose the power in the clinch and any attack getting thrown.
-Stay Chill Family and Folk
To sweep you need to catch a kick, to catch you should go lead hand under the kicking leg rear hand over the the kicking leg so you can control and hold on to the leg. Think of a over under in grappling that’s basically what your doing grappling then cheating.
- Lift the leg up to break the balance
- Pull the leg towards you to move them to you
- Close the distance swiftly
- Push leg up during while kicking the planted leg out from under the opponent
- Watch them fall
Clinching or the Plum is FUN TO MENTAL:
- Wrapping hands around head and neck to secure plum.
- With hand over hand over palm hand over forearm.
- Placement of the forearms in front of shoulder.
- Driving the elbows towards each other in a pinching motion.
Hand over Hand grip :
- Wrap one hand around the head.
- Then place the other hand on top of that hand pulling the opponent’s head into your chest.
Variation of hand over hand is the hand over over fist or palm:
- Start with a hand over hand clinch
- Have the bottom hand and match that thumb with the pinkie
- Then wrap the palm hand around the fist hand
- Put one arm around the neck or the forearm mostly so one arm comes out over the opposing shoulder.
- Then do a hand over hand grip driving the unwrapped arms forearm into the shoulder.
- Pulling down with both arms into your chest hand over the forearm.
- Start of in the Clinch begin throwing a knee how you normally would.
- While Throwing curl the heel toward your hip to help drive the point of the knee in.
- Pulling the head down ,target or make the target of the head closer.
- Making predicting where the strike is going very difficult.
Preserving the Clinch:
Let’s say your opponent snakes an arm out and wraps your neck.
- You keep this from going from bad to worse is to relax
- Immediately find there elbow cup it and throw it up over head keeping your hand cupped on that elbow
- Within that instant attack the exposed side with straight knees and side knees weakening the opponent before reestablishing a clinch or breaking after the knees.
Over hooking to knee:
Holding the clinch say your opponent’s arms get onto your shoulder what do we do well over hooks aren’t just for the ground.
- Releasing one arm from the clinch.
- Apply the pressure on the forearm to the elbow keeping control
- With the leg corresponding with the over hook launch a knee.
- Make sure to cup the elbow and pull when attacking with the knee.
-Stay Chill Family and Folks
(YO Steveinaspeedo on the Tumbles is nice with the gifs)
AMRAP means push yourself past the limit but not past were your body can go, meaning that discomfort is okay pain is not. Discomfort and pain are totally different don’t quit on yourself. Yeah don’t slow down baby ya digg.
20 Min AMRAP
2 Muscle Ups or 5 Eccentric Pull Ups
4 Handstand Push Ups
8 KB Swings
2 Muscle Ups or 3 Eccentric Pull Ups
4 Handstand Push Ups
8 KB Swings
Later if you have time or do it later in the week hit this to balance the body out.
Dumbbell Bench Press Decline Incline 80% of Max or Barbell Bench Press Decline Incline 75% – 85% of Max 10 x 8
Dumbbell or Barbell Row 5 x 25
-Stay Dope Folks and Family
Work the legs and you learn to float so add some weight and move faster and don’t stop moving, great quote from a wonderful movie the legs feed the wolf.
2 Rounds of:
50 Calorie Row
50 ABMAT Sit-ups (Butterfly)
50 Box Jumps 20″
-Later Folks and Family
How to Float it starts with the TOES Playa
As everyone knows at least I’m making that assumption but footwork is one of my favorite thing in the world. My other favorite thing was once seen as a bad habit but know everythings fair game that thing is the advanced principles and understanding that we have of the immense power and dexterity that the lower plane of our mobility is based on that would be the toes feet ankles and calves. It’s where the explosive power starts and what you land on first to absorb that shock of the explosive movement of your entire body think sprinters, football players (both US and Worldly), Olympic lifters, Basketball, Volleyball, etc everything with any kind of lower body explosion in its movements is connected to this theory of movement. Take the Great One Ali he was so damn lite on the feet because he would run on the toes, jump rope on the toes, run backwards; he would jump around even more during sparring for 15 rounds all the time even more then what he did during a real bout. That was his prime when Ali was the world beater he was always on the toes to strengthen that energy system and mobility building up a second sense on the toes.
Now a Nick Carson and the Marinovich’s made the groundbreaking steps in MMA with BJ Penn and RDA most notably, because of their explosive movements and cardio that allowed them to push and push without hitting a ceiling while their opponents would gas or break. With that being said I believe in a lot of their principles but I won’t say that other things they don’t implement dont work either. Front squats or squat clean and jerks are great movements for strengthening the quad and hamstring secondarily, and fast movements at a moderate weight do carry over to athletics. As well as barbell rows and other rowing movements, I get that the movement is lateral in its targeting when you pile on pull ups and cleans and snatches where your pull or row movement heavy. However movement specialist like Julien Pineau who come from a long line of powerlifting and olympic lifting as well as sport athletic lineages from Europe he made it pretty plain and simple just like the Russians and Chinese they use implementation to balance the energy sytems out so if your pull or row heavy programming a bench press (shudder and shake if you must) is what will balance that out going over head with a strict press or a yoke will balance you out and make you stronger. Balancing the systems is my goal and a I pull for all the best, so increase foot ankle and calves strength and mobility there and you will really float like a butterfly.
So what the plan well that you can get by signing up for our performance based programming (check out AOC Wreck Shop), but to put it simply all the best and researched and implemented movements and programming from Pool based Plyometrics to hard Triathlon prepping road work for cardio and recovery. Everything has something to contribute so why would I be close minded. My ideas of conditioning based primarily for Mixed Martial Arts an Art based on mixing of styles that work can then turn around and say nope no mixing ideas styles that conflict, if we know anything it’s that conflicting styles merged together become the most impressive and beautiful.
-Later Folks and Family
Chipper and Grinder Lets Get After IT.
EMOM 30 minutes
MIN 1 – 10
Odd Minutes – 4 Power Snatch
Even Minutes – Push Ups and Sit Ups
Odd- 2 Power Snatch + 2 OHS
Even – Push Ups and Sit Ups
Odd – 3 Squat Snatch
Even – Push Ups and alternate to Sit Ups
-Hope You Fell Open and Empty after this take a second to just Relax and Breath